JOPLIN, Mo. – Union Pacific Big Boy # 4014 is the largest steam locomotive in the world ever created. One of the eight existing and it is the only one that still works (the others are in museums). Next month, he will visit towns at the western end of the Joplin region. Mark your calendar. You can see it rushing through these cities along the Union Pacific lanes.
- Wednesday August 11: Moran, Kansas
- Wednesday August 11: Parsons, Kansas
- Thursday August 12: Parsons, Kansas
- Thursday August 12: Vinita, Oklahoma
- Thursday August 12: Pryor, Oklahoma
- Thursday August 12: Wagoner, Oklahoma
As it stops at these places, you will only be able to see the train for a short visit. This is called a “whistle”. You cannot board the train for the tours. The largest cities on this 2021 Steam Route in all 10 states are scheduled for the public and tours are: Saint Louis, Fort Worth, New Orleans, Denver, Houston.
Twenty-five Big Boys were built exclusively for Union Pacific, the first of which was delivered in 1941 to handle the steep terrain between Cheyenne and Ogden. Of the eight that still exist, # 4014 is the only active Big Boy in the world. The other seven are on display in Cheyenne, Wyoming; Denver, Colorado; Frisco, Texas; Green Bay, Wisconsin; Omaha, Nebraska; Scranton, Pennsylvania; and St. Louis, Missouri.
Union Pacific strongly encourages visitors to keep safety in mind when viewing and photographing # 4014 on its journey. For everyone’s safety:
- Remember that trains cannot stop quickly to avoid people or vehicles on the tracks.
- The distance and speed of a train can be deceptive.
- The average train is at least three feet above the track – take extra care and back off at least 25 feet.
- Railways, trestles, courtyards and rights of way are private property.
- Never assume the tracks are abandoned or inactive – always expect a train.
the Discover the Union Pacific Rail Car, a multimedia exhibition-tour offering a glimpse of the past while telling the story of the modern railroad, will accompany the Big Boy on his tour. A vapor tracking map showing the location and route of No.4014 will be available at upsteam.com.
About Union Pacific
Union Pacific (NYSE: UNP) delivers the goods families and businesses use every day with safe, reliable and efficient service. With operations in 23 western states, the company connects its customers and communities to the global economy. Trains are the most environmentally friendly way to move freight, helping Union Pacific protect future generations. More information on Union Pacific is available at www.up.com.