Death of Breck Road newsagent, Northern Rail timetable update, pedo cleared of court

These are the last headlines from ECHO for Thursday, April 21.

‘Legendary’ Breck Road newsagent dies aged 70

A legendary newsagent who served Anfield for three decades has died aged 70.

Kenneth Ireland, who ran Ireland News on Breck Road from the early 1980s to 2013, died suddenly on April 10. His family paid tribute to Walton native Ken who has given so much to his community over the years.

This is not the first time that Ireland News has echoed. In February 1997, the National Lottery was promoting its new Wednesday night draw, and Ken’s shop was chosen to do a “Western-style dancing bargain”.

Ken’s son Mark Ireland told ECHO: “I think my dad would be made up to be in ECHO, he’s sold loads of them over the years. He was a toy rep and that newsagent on Breck Road was one of his customers, so when he found out the guy was retiring he took the plunge and bought it himself.

“He knew from selling toys there that it was a great little store. From then on it just kept growing and people started seeing him as a legend.”

Read the full story here.

Northern Railway releases timetable update ahead of major changes

Northern rail has released an updated timetable before next month.

The new train timetables will be introduced from Sunday 15 May and will focus on “reliability and punctuality for customers”. The majority of routes will maintain the service levels established in December last year and some routes will see their seat capacity increased.

Chris Jackson, Northern Regional Manager, said, “Customers are at the heart of everything we do, and the new schedules are designed to deliver high levels of reliability.

“We have made decisions about our schedules based on the resource levels available to us and by prioritizing routes that are most in demand by customers and that support economic growth in the region.”

Read the full story here.

A pedophile is free after sending images of raped children

A pedophile who shared photos of raped children as young as six online was released from court on Thursday.

Joshua Stoll has used the Kik and Wickr chat platforms to send indecent images to other pedophiles, but still denies having a sexual interest in children. Officers analyzing his phones found the 25-year-old, from Warrington, had also uploaded images of young babies in what Liverpool’s Chief Justice called a “truly shocking” abuse.

Nick Cockrell, prosecuting, said police raided Stoll’s home in November last year after receiving reports he had indecent images of children. Officers found 1,115 such images and videos and later discovered that Stoll had used private groups on chat rooms to distribute images.

Read the full story here.

About Jun Quentin

Check Also

Biden announces deal to avoid crippling railroad strike: ‘A win for tens of thousands of railroad workers’

A tentative deal between unions representing railroad workers and a group of the largest railroad …